Show of hands, who had some sort of health & fitness New Year’s Resolution this year? Keep those hands up.
How many of you have an action plan? How many of you are still on track so far this new year? How many hands are still up? Statistics show only 8% of us achieve our New Year’s Resolutions! Will you be one of them?
Why is this so hard for us? We set lofty goals and we mean them and we want them and desire change so fiercely in our hearts, but why can’t we achieve them?
I want you to consider the power of accountability.
Accountability is a proven system. CEO’s are accountable to their Board of Directors. Recovering addicts are accountable to their sponsors. Accountability is what takes us from an “I’ll get around to it” mentality to actually doing it!
When it comes to health and fitness it’s been shown time and time again that those who work with a coach or accountability partner of some kind are more successful than those who go it alone. I am well trained in fitness – I’m a physical therapist, yoga instructor, personal trainer – I know what to do! Does that mean I do it every day? Not without staying accountable to my program! I have my own system in place and people that I report to in order to stay consistent with my goals. Needing accountability is not a sign of weakness or lack of knowledge, it’s just human nature!
This year I’d like to challenge you to do something different. Write out your goals and formulate an action plan. Break the year up into quarters and set mini-goals. And make sure they are specific, measurable and achievable:
“I will work out 6 days a week.”
“I will lose 10 pounds in 90 days.”
“I will run my first 5k.”
Here are some ways INVIVO can help you with accountability:
- Hire a personal trainer! Did I mention you can save up to 30% on personal training packages this month?! This is the utmost accountability. Show up, report in, set a personalized game plan together and do the work.
- Fitness not your thing? How about private yoga?
- Pre-register for weekly yoga or fitness class! Once you’ve signed up you’re more likely to show up.
- Better yet, get a buddy and promise to meet them in class.
- If you don’t feel like your body is ready, reconnect with your physical therapist or schedule a free physical therapy consultation to help work out the kinks and develop a plan of action that is right for you.
These are just a few things to consider as you move back into the routine of the new year. My parting thought to you comes from a mentor of mine:
“Instead of saying ‘I don’t have time to X’, I want you to replace that with the phrase ‘X is not a priority to me.’ Because that’s the truth. IF something is truly important you find the time. Say it out loud. How does that feel?”
Patricia Fasciotti is a Physical Therapist and Wellness Director at INVIVO. Patricia has spent over 10 years in the field of outpatient orthopedics. Most recently, Patricia completed her 200-hour certification to become a registered Yoga teacher (RYT). Patricia lives in Brookfield with her husband and two children. She enjoys running, yoga, pilates, and exploring all that Milwaukee has to offer!